It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Any electrical gurus here? 

Post Any electrical gurus here?
I have a '98 328i convertible that keeps blowing fuse 7 (which controls, door locks top) since last summer.

- Soft top works and power locks work when the fuse isn't blown.
- If I put a fresh fuse in, I can use the soft top, lock/unlock the car etc.

Once I lock the car, walk away and then come back the fuse will have blown. If I leave the door unlocked - the fuse doesn't blow. Could this be a bad lock actuator that's shorting and blowing the fuse? Something else? Any tips?

Now to spice things up, recently after bringing it out of storage it to decided to blow fuse 33 and wont hold a fuse in that socket, blows right on contact. This one powers drivers side tail light and front parking lights, interior lights, phone, glovebox light, reading lights, headlight switch (still turns on headlights, right side lights etc), cd changer etc

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:50 pm

BMW: 94 M3 Euro, 97 328is
Post Re: Any electrical gurus here?
You can do loop checks to ground off the pins to try to identify which connection is grounding out - you can also disconnect each actuator to and try to relock to isolate the issue. Electrical problems are very tedious.

On your last point, its likely the connection from the chassis to the trunk - this is a typical pinch point. Its located on the LHS of the trunk lid. My brothers E36 M3 had the same issue as the connections were frayed and shorting out at that location.

Fri May 11, 2018 2:57 pm

BMW: 2002 M3
Post Re: Any electrical gurus here?
Yep, check the trunk. I second that.

Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]