It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Anyone here do BMW Coding? 

BMW: 325
Post Anyone here do BMW Coding?
I bought some OEM LED tails for the E46 so now I need to get the LCM re-programmed so I don't have a bulb out error.

Does anyone have a resource for getting the BMW coded? Shops charge their 1 hour rate of $120 which I think is a bit steep for one feature. Let me know if you have any leads.

Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 am

BMW: E46 M3
Post Re: Anyone here do BMW Coding?
Give these guys a call?
http://www.ecuprogram.com/

Thu May 25, 2017 9:30 am

BMW: '06 Z4MC
I have a Carly that should be able to do it.

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-ba ... -possible/

Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am

BMW: E39 M5/528 E30 E53
I have coded out the "cold test" error message before with PA Soft. I can help but I will not be available till late next week.

Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

BMW: e70 x5 3.0
You would be taking a chance with Carly, sometimes it works, often does not. It refuses to active key fob fold mirrors option on my X5 and I have heard people frying their ECU modules while trying to program with Carly, watch out.

Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Gave ECUProgramming a call, they quoted me $150.

I called Vitek too but they said their scan tools can't help me. I need to get the LCM re-coded to match my car's VIN/serial number so I don't get a tamper dot, which apparently requires more complex software?

Thu May 25, 2017 4:33 pm

BMW: 2008 335xi
2003 M3
*** Edited for clarity ***

Did you get a new LCM or just the OEM LED tails? PASoft will code your vin and reset your stored KM in a new LCM to eliminate the tamper dot, before further coding.

Regardless if its a new or existing LCM, you will have to get your LCM coded for LED taillights. PaSoft, NCSExpert, Carly can all do that.
Here's how to add the LED option and reset your LCM to defaults for your VO through NCSExpert.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=461982

Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

calrick02 wrote:
*** Edited for clarity ***

Did you get a new LCM or just the OEM LED tails? PASoft will code your vin and reset your stored KM in a new LCM to eliminate the tamper dot, before further coding.

Regardless if its a new or existing LCM, you will have to get your LCM coded for LED taillights. PaSoft, NCSExpert, Carly can all do that.
Here's how to add the LED option and reset your LCM to defaults for your VO through NCSExpert.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=461982

I got both. Updated LCM and the OEM LED tails.

Rick, which software do you have installed right now? I just realized I have the cable from a few years ago and I think I have an old laptop that can run the software. I might just install it this weekend, but might need some guidance. If you have the software download files, I can just drop by as well to copy them. You live 5 mins from me.

Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 am

2003 M3
Send me a pm and we can set up some time to program your setup. The LCM needs to be compatible with the options on your car. We can check that out before programming.

I've installed a newer LCM in my car, initialized it with PaSoft and coded it with NCSExpert. My immediate intention was to get triple blink working, which I did. You need an LCM with sw 4.0 or greater for that. I was going to play around to get the brake force display working, but have since lost interest in this. If I acquired OEM LEDs for a steal deal, I'd put those in and code them as well.

I have Carly, PaSoft and NCSExpert that we can try. I'm most familiar with NCSExpert to do this.

Carly is tied to your Google account for Android or your Apple ID for IOS. You also need the OBDII adapter. I don't know a way to copy it and I think you'll have to purchase it if that's what you want to use.

PaSoft Windows software is out there, but you need to buy a special USB=>OBDII cable off Ebay specific to PaSoft.

NCSExpert Windows software is out there as well. You need a dependable K+DCan cable. The source files that I have are buried somewhere in my systems. I have the older software that needs to run on 32 bit Windows XP, updated with newer daten files. There is software that runs on newer 64 bit Windows, but I haven't tried it since I have a dedicated notebook and my BMW coding is pretty sparse these days.

Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

BMW: 2003 M3
I got the progressive brake-lights working (outer circle on the tail-lights only illuminate under heavier braking, and rear-window light blinks under full pressure or when ABS kicks in) but my unit is too old for the triple-blink.

It took a lot of setup, trying to piece together advice from many different blogs and message boards, a couple of different cables and a whole lot of trial and error to get it running. I was intimidated enough at the thought of trying to configure a new unit that I gave up on the triple-blink... hope it works for you!

Fri May 26, 2017 4:53 pm

2003 M3
Quote:
It took a lot of setup, trying to piece together advice from many different blogs and message boards, a couple of different cables and a whole lot of trial and error to get it running. I was intimidated enough at the thought of trying to configure a new unit that I gave up on the triple-blink... hope it works for you!

The brake force display seemed very complicated to set up, especially since I don't have LED tails. It just didn't add a lot for the amount of work. Triple blink is pretty easy to setup. The hard part is finding a compatible LCM with 4.x software to swap in and initialize.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:20 pm

BMW: E39 M5/528 E30 E53
TL you sort this out? I have the adapter for NCSExpert but am not comfortable with the software....yet!
I can help once you get the LKM coded.
Found some info here if it helps. https://www.rjnunnally.com/bmw-e39-lkm- ... placement/

calrick, when I have free time I will take you up on a tutorial.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:09 pm

2003 M3
Quote:
calrick, when I have free time I will take you up on a tutorial.

Shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

In the meantime, I found this article on modifying features on E46 builds prior to 08/2001. This would also apply to E39. You might want to get familiar with it. The newer builds use the VO/FA method.
http://blog.uobdii.com/diy-coding-bmw-e46-zcs-module-via-ncs-expert/

I didn't find it until after TL and I installed his new LCM (LSZ) and changed it to match his vin and mileage with PASoft. We verified that everything worked. It was already coded properly to work with the new LED taillights and his Xenon headlights, so I didn't have to use NCSExpert to change the LSZ module parameters. The ZCS should be changed in case it gets reset to default in the future, but is not necessary for operation.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 am

BMW: 2003 M3
If I recall, the brake force change itself wasn't tough, but it was the initial nightmare of getting the interface working. Trying to figure all of the different programs and how to get the VM and com ports set up on my old laptop, getting a cable that worked for multiple programs/correct chipset... the only changes that were really challenging themselves were to use the CSL parameters for the transmission and engine control and the throttle remapping. Without much knowledge of electronics or even a basic grasp of hex code that stuff felt a bit like throwing the baby up in the air, closing my eyes, holding out my arms, and hoping for the best... :-)

calrick02 wrote:
Quote:

The brake force display seemed very complicated to set up, especially since I don't have LED tails. It just didn't add a lot for the amount of work. Triple blink is pretty easy to setup. The hard part is finding a compatible LCM with 4.x software to swap in and initialize.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:50 pm

2003 M3
Quote:
f I recall, the brake force change itself wasn't tough, but it was the initial nightmare of getting the interface working. Trying to figure all of the different programs and how to get the VM and com ports set up on my old laptop, getting a cable that worked for multiple programs/correct chipset... the only changes that were really challenging themselves were to use the CSL parameters for the transmission and engine control and the throttle remapping. Without much knowledge of electronics or even a basic grasp of hex code that stuff felt a bit like throwing the baby up in the air, closing my eyes, holding out my arms, and hoping for the best... :-)

I assume you are using BMWTools, which includes NCSExpert, Inpa, WINKFP, etc. I got into this when I retrofitted a used standard BMW alarm system into my E46 M3 shortly after I bought it. I took it into a local BMW Indy shop to get it programmed. They screwed it up and gave me some bull**** story about the eeprom having to match the car or initialized to a virgin state. I knew this wasn't true, and having a background in the IT industry, I figured "how hard could this be". Well, many hours later on research, downloads and 3 cables later, I finally got the alarm coded properly. I've done a lot of coding on my car to tweak it to my preferences since then. I've even done some coding on other members cars, but this is a hobby for me, and it seems every time I do some coding, I learn something new.
Since the BMWTools suite will not work on newer BMWs. I bought Carly for BMW, shortly after buying a 2008 335. Carly is much easier to use, but the coding that can be done is pretty basic stuff. I am just using it to do diagnostics and clear codes.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]