It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
New Calgary Member - Introduction 
pt n00b

BMW: 2014 428i xDrive F33
Post New Calgary Member - Introduction
Hello All,

Thanks a lot for approving my registration to the forum, I would like to introduce myself.

1. My name is Roger and I live in Calgary. I was transferred by my employer three months ago coming from abroad. My wife and I are really happy to be here, you should be really proud of Canada, this is a great country. Everybody is very kind and the place is just gorgeous we are still amazed with the snow and the sites around.

2. We just purchased a '11 328i xDrive E90 with Manual Transmission. This is a dream coming true, it is nearly impossible to own a BMW in my home-country. 1st because it is really expensive and 2nd because it catches too much attention, the possibility of getting robbed or kidnapped because of driving a car like that is huge. Most of people who drive this kind of vehicles has it bullet proof, believe it or not. My brother is luck enough (or should I say crazy enough) to have one, '10 130i E87 (hatchback), I do not think I have seen this model here in Canada. So, when I first had a chance to drive it I was very impressed and it was love at first drive :laugh:, I thought one day I could be lucky enough to have one of those. But I do not like automatic transmission. Once I saw that E90 with Manual Transmission to sell at Calgary BMW website I went to the dealership next weekend. I still don't have the vehicle with me, I am going to pick it up next Saturday, Jan, 30th.

3. Before purchasing the vehicle I joined a couple of forums and started asking questions about purchasing an used vehicle, reliability, mileage, etc. And I eventually got a reply from Matut in one of the forums, he mentioned about this Alberta Bimmer Forum and I decided to register.

4. I am not sure if Matut uses the same user name here at this forum, I do not really know him, but he is the one who told me about it. And I do appreciate bringing it up with me, I am really happy to be part of the forum.

5. The reason why I joined the forum is get more information and tips on the vehicle care, maintenance and get to know more people like me who really likes cars and particularly Bimmers. It is indeed a dream coming true and I can't wait for Saturday to come so I can pick her up. After reading a few comments from people I decided to listen to them and got it as CPO from Calgary BMW, it has BMW extended warranty until Dec, 2018. But I still want to learn about mechanic shops in Calgary for general maintenance and tips on how to take good care of the vehicle, maybe if the forum members organize meetings in town I could join you.

6. I am attaching a picture of her when I took at the dealership. She only has 34,000km on it :thumbup: . I will take more pictures once I have her with me.

Attachment:
Bimmer Reduced Pict.jpg

I am looking forward to meeting you.

Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Roger

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:03 pm

BMW: '91 318is M52 Swap
Post Re: New Calgary Member - Introduction
Welcome! Do you mind sharing what country you are originally from?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 am

Welcome,

That was me who told you to come on over :wave:

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:11 am

BMW: 2008 335xi
2003 M3
Welcome to PT.
There are lots of friendly BMW enthusiasts here willing to share information. Experience ranges from professional mechanics to casual wrench turners.
If you have a warranty, you might want to use the dealership for service until it runs out. There are 2 popular Indie shops that have good reputations. Nurburgring in the South end of town and Viteks in the North end.
I don't know of any shops that will bullet proof your car though. :lmao:

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:21 am

BMW: 1997 M3
Welcome To the country & the forum Roger.
Where'd you relocate from?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:53 am

BMW: 325isS52swap
Welcome!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 pm

BMW: 96 740iL
welcome! look like a sweet e90 you've picked up! hope we can take a look at the annual meet this year.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:18 pm

BMW: 99M3 & 328 cab.
Welcome to PT

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:53 pm
pt n00b

watut wrote:
Welcome,

That was me who told you to come on over :wave:

Thanks again for telling me about the forum!! :bow:

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm
pt n00b

MyzM3 wrote:
Welcome To the country & the forum Roger.
Where'd you relocate from?

Thank you very much. I relocated from Venezuela, but I am originally from Brazil.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:06 pm
pt n00b

bpets wrote:
Welcome! Do you mind sharing what country you are originally from?

Thanks a lot! No I don't mind at all; I am originally from Brazil.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm
pt n00b

Guys,

Today was the great day!! :clap:

We picked her up in the morning; we're very happy.

I am trying to attach some of the pictures we took:

Attachment:
Parked at dealership.JPG

Attachment:
Interior.JPG

Attachment:
Interior - clutch pedal.JPG

Attachment:
Six speed transmission.JPG

Have a great weekend guys! :)

Kind regards,
Roger

Ps. The reason for editing was removing personal pictures, I apologise for that. I should have considered it was not appropriate to post them at the forum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:14 pm
pt n00b

How are you guys doing?

I just thought I would send some pictures of my brother's 2010 130i E87, as I mentioned to you I have not seen this model here in Canada yet. This vehicle is not bullet proof though, he takes a bit of risk for driving it in the streets of Sao Paulo city.

This was the first bimmer I've ever driven in my life and it drove my head crazy about owning one... heheh.. :thumbup:

Attachment:
Brother 2010 130 E87 Back.JPG

Attachment:
Brother 2010 130 E87 Front.JPG

Attachment:
Brother 2010 130 E87 Interior.JPG

Attachment:
Brother 2010 130 E87 Steering Wheel.JPG

Have a good one guys!

Kind regards,
Roger

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm

BMW: 2006 M coupe
Welcome and nice car!

I was in Rio last summer - spent a few nights in Lappa and had the time of my life!

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:03 pm

BMW: 2002 M3
Welcome to the forum. I have a 135 so it is certainly different to see the hatchback? version.
You certainly found an unusual car for yourself. New, okay almost new car, Xdrive and MANUAL trans. Manuals see to be dying out.
Now with a manual trans car it is less likely to be stolen. Apparently, thieves mostly drive autos!

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:02 pm

BMW: e28
Welcome!

1987 E28 M535i

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am
pt n00b

Hi guys,

It's been so long, the BMW bug really got into me. I really enjoyed my E90.

I thought of sending you an update, our family grew up. Our first child was born in July, 2017, she changed our lives completely.

Even though, I really loved my E90 I was the only one who had a chance to enjoy it. My wife rarely drove it (yes, she drives manual transmission), and our daughter never rode on it, we just used my wife's SUV when the 3 of us rode together.

So, I thought this is not fair, I want to take my family to enjoy the Bimmer with me. I need to find a good reason for them to ride with me. Kept thinking, and I found it: I needed a convertible. :dance:

My initial objective was to get an E93 Manual Transmission, but they are so rare. I found a perfect 2009 E93 M3 Manual, but the dealership valued my E90 terribly on the trade. I tried to sell my vehicle privately, but they sold the M3 before I could sell my car. It is a shame, I will never forget the roar of the V8 engine.

After that, all the E93s I found were really not the way I wanted....

I kept looking for hard-top convertibles, and eventually I realized I could get the 4 series XDrive, but not manual transmission. But I considered the pros and cons of the E93 vs the F33 and decided the F33 was a better fit, I had to give up on the manual transmission that I value so much.

Anyway, I managed to sell my E90 privately for a reasonable price and then the fun started: shopping.

At that point Calgary BMW had one, but their price was higher than other BMW dealerships in West Canada. I tried to negotiate with them, but they would not adjust the price.

So, I took a lot of chance, but I decided to buy a 2014 428xi F33 from Vancouver. I bought it over the phone, never test drove or saw the car live. But the Brian Jessel's sales rep was really good to me, he sent me a lot of pictures, got all my questions answered. I managed to get the vehicle certified during the negotiation, and they shipped the vehicle to Calgary.

It was a better deal than with Calgary BMW as the one I got from Vancouver had a few additional things such as the 19in rims, Adaptive M Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, ConnectedDrive.

So I thought I would send you some pictures of my dream come true (they were taken on the very day I picked it up at the terminal in Calgary), and yes my family has ridden with me several times during Summer . Everybody is enjoying the top-down. :)

It is an excellent vehicle, we are very satisfied with it.

Attachment:
image1.jpeg

Attachment:
image3.jpeg

Attachment:
image2.jpeg

Attachment:
image4.jpeg

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions please:

1. I have read a lot about the N20 timing chain problem, it seems to me it is a very rare problem. But, I wanted to ask you if you know of anyone who had this problem? My warranty is good until 2020 (4m remaining of new-vehicle warranty and 1y CPO Platinum Warranty), and I might extend it for another 3 years.

2. When and where you guys get together here in Calgary? Perhaps I could join your gathering have a look at your Bimmers and talk about those great machines.

Thanks a lot for any help with that.

Have a great weekend!

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]