It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Is it cold enough for you? 

BMW: 2002 M3
Post Is it cold enough for you?
-27C here with 6 inches of snow. Just think second week of Dec I was thinking of taking the GMW out for a run but it is parked in front so I would have had to move the M3 as well and I was just too lazy. Now it is 4C in my garage, even if I turn the heater on it gets warm but the cold floor radiates all over making it not too comfortable for working.
I have my daughter's E46 330CI convertible at my shop to change the passenger door actuator. Got it in yesterday and have yet to test it by closing the door. It locks and unlocks just fine but first closing is a bit of a leap of faith! Just before Christmas she called from Walmart parking lot, the driver's actuator didn't want to work so she could open the door. As well, the passenger actuator would never unlock since she got the car. I had it for 2 years but never got around to putting it in. Now at least if the drivers sit sticks she will be able to open from the passenger side. So we had the car towed from Walmart to my shop a 7+ hour wait. I pulled it in to the shop and once warm the door opened just fine!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm

BMW: 2008 335xi
2003 M3
Post Re: Is it cold enough for you?
Cold weather seems to make everything break. One of the outer hinges on my garage door broke and wouldn't close more than half way down. I had to use some force on the hinge, close it manually, borrow my son's car and run to Home Depot before it closed. Everything's working fine now.

Angel eyes on E90 driver side decided to flake out. I have to figure out how to test and replace it. I'm not sure it I can get at it through the access panel in the fender liner or take off the whole fender liner. I'll figure it out though.

I have a downdraft gas furnace (like in mobile homes) in my garage. The heat blows out the bottom through a raised platform and takes a lot of the chill off the cement floor. I keep it about 45F when I'm not working out there and about 65F if I have to spend a lot of time in the garage.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 pm

BMW: 2010 328i
just had to do a blower motor on my e90. squeaked whenever it got cold and I couldn't stand it anymore. wasn't that bad of a job either, googled it a bit, then probably only 1.5 hours in the garage to pull it, clean and oil it, and put it back in. glad i have a garage heater to crank up for working out there!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Rick, access panel on fender liner will only get access to bulbs. Angel eyes would need to get to entire light with the clear lens off. Best to check the wiring first. Is it aftermarket or oem? If aftermarket, almost certainly wiring especially in cold. Also I might wait a couple of days until it is warmer, it might spontaneously work again.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 am

BMW: 2008 335xi
2003 M3
All OEM Bruce. The funny thing was that it was fine until today when I started it in my heated garage. I'm going to reset my FRM module tomorrow to see if it'll clear the code and get it working. Apparently if the FRM detects a problem, it'll set the dash light and if it continues, it'll shut down the circuit.

E90's angel eyes are different. A separate bulb in a housing in the back of the headlight housing lights up the rings. I think the LCI (2009+) E90 just uses a standard H8 halogen bulb, but mine needs a special $75 BMW part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eP0xyklag4

Here's a better one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nuNNbIixE

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am
pt n00b

BMW: 2003 E46 M3
-38 up here without wind chill... nothing wants to work in those temperatures, my Ford F250 wouldnt start the other morning even after being plugged in

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm

BMW: '93 32oi
I broke my ankle a couple weeks ago thanks to an icy parking lot at work, which makes getting around without my car a huge frustration. Now thanks to this cold snap my e36 turned into a froxen brick that refuses to start (which I naturally find out after my roommate left town), so I've pretty much been stranded at home since boxing day.. :banghead:

Tried a new battery & starter fluid today since it warmed up, got it to crank harder but still nothing. Really hoping the plugs are just fouled now since I tried firing it up quite a few times over the last few days with no luck. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer here (-1 by the afternoon) so I'm hoping it'll thaw out and fire up since it spends the afternoon facing the sun in my condo parking lot. If not, I think I'll have to find a trailer and haul it to my parents place and shove it in the heated garage till it smartens up.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank goodness it is warming up. My son's E46 330XI wouldn't start the other day either. Then I realized I never changed the battery when I got it. It had been stone dead and I charged it so it is probably half dead normally anyway!
Let us hope things get back to normal. -18C seems warm now!
I remember years ago in Estevan, I was out on my gauging route in middle of no where. -20F (approx -30C) with a 30 mph wind. -85F with wind chill. I was climbing to the top of oil tanks as well. Nothing ever came close to that day!

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:18 pm

My car finally thawed out enough to start today... after I called a tow truck of course haha. Parked it in my parents heated garage to fully thaw out and gonna do a bit of work to hopefully prevent this happening again. My Dad thinks its possible that there was water or moisture in the fuel lines or filter that froze & my service advisor thinks the plugs could have been 'flooded'.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:11 am

You can actually flood a fuel injected car. Doesn't happen often. Once it is running again everything will straighten itself out.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:05 pm

The plugs were flooded alright.... with oil! Cylinders 1, 5 & 6 (front to back) were covered in oil, so bad that 6 was actually submerged in it up past the coil boot! Time for a new VCG & new plugs today.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:00 am

Sounds like whoever replaced the valve cover gasket previously didn't replace the seals around the spark plugs! Nice mess, oil will run into the cylinders when you pull the plugs. Better spin the engine over for a while w/o plugs in so you do not hydrolock the engine. Or maybe blow the oil out with a compressed air thin nozzle to get most out. It will smoke like heck when you restart! Make sure it is outside!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]