It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Imola Paperweight? 

BMW: e30 325i, e46 325iT
Post Imola Paperweight?
With the e30 sleeping in the garage and my fairly new to me E46 Touring on the driveway, I'm really not sure I needed a project car but I couldn't pass up this 2002 330ci

It's pretty rough around the edges, and currently a No Crank / No Start situation, but I'm hoping I can learn my way into reviving it

My wife indicated that it's still too cold to keep the family vehicle outside, so I guess the e46 will have to sleep on the streets for now

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Post Re: Imola Paperweight?
Congrats on the pick up, how much did you grab that for if you don't mind me asking? Pm if you want. Was eyeballing that for an m54 swap for my e30.

Careful parking projects on the straight, had mine on the street for a month until I came out one day and found a parking ticket and seizure/removal notice on it. :banghead: :throwup:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 am

Just under $2k

I got it cranking today but still no start. I'll have a lot to post about the process, but I think I'll get this thing sorted.

You bet, I've had things nabbed from the street and off to impound before.

That's why my daily that's registered will be parked on the street and the plateless project gets the private property driveway.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm

BMW: 2002 M3
I would never park unregistered cars on the street. As well, you always want to have fire and theft insurance on any car.
I would imagine there is not too much wrong with the car. It was running at one point and then no start. Few hours of your time should solve it.
I once bought a E46 that a shop had said the timing chain skipped. Towed it to my place, checked the timing. It was good. I replaced a intake bellows put new plugs in it and it fired right up. I actually sold it for a great profit!
Good luck.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:17 pm

BMW: 2010 328i
qualicas wrote:
I once bought a E46 that a shop had said the timing chain skipped. Towed it to my place, checked the timing. It was good. I replaced a intake bellows put new plugs in it and it fired right up. I actually sold it for a great profit!
Good luck.

i can never find cars like that, all mine are sold at a great loss!

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Dynamic Entry wrote:
Just under $2k

I got it cranking today but still no start. I'll have a lot to post about the process, but I think I'll get this thing sorted.

You bet, I've had things nabbed from the street and off to impound before.

That's why my daily that's registered will be parked on the street and the plateless project gets the private property driveway.

Good pickup! Let us know how it goes! Did you check the basics? Spark, gas, compression?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am

qualicas wrote:
I would never park unregistered cars on the street. As well, you always want to have fire and theft insurance on any car.
I would imagine there is not too much wrong with the car. It was running at one point and then no start. Few hours of your time should solve it.
Good luck.

Usually I wouldn't either but I bought this car when we had all that snow and my alley was closed, was waiting for some snow to melt and city to re-open the alley :banghead:

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

BMW: 2002 M3
That was only car I have ever made money on. Others I have either a loss or big loss or just can't sell.
ie 2002 M3, snow mobile or old suburban trade? ah NO!

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 pm

watut wrote:
Congrats on the pick up .. Was eyeballing that for an m54 swap for my e30.

I also had the idea in the back of my mind of swapping the engine, because my e46 Touring is a 325i (they didn't sell the 3.0L Touring in North America) and it would be cool to have the M54b30

But it's a good thing you didn't get this car for the engine, after a lot of time and energy I have pretty much decided this motor needs more than a small tune up

watut wrote:
Let us know how it goes! Did you check the basics? Spark, gas, compression?

I wish I could have done this straight away, but since it wasn't cranking I didn't have a good way to check compression.

I went on a wild ride working through the possible causes of NO Crank, and eventually found a loose connection on the starter.

Fixing that gave me reliable crank but it still wouldn't fire up.

I was close to sending my EWS immobilizer and key to a forum guy down in Virginia for reprogramming but decided to cover my bases first and found the compression was low on all cylinders.

By addressing the bore washed rings I was able to get it started, but it isn't going to be a simple fix. I found multiple vacuum leaks and the motor is running super rough.

https://youtu.be/SE2AJsn1jV0

I'm back to thinking I should part it out, but I will probably see if anyone wants to pick it up whole first.

Thu May 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Created a partout thread in the marketplace
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8794

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]