It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
E30 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 Build 

BMW: '90 320i Mtechnic
Post E30 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 Build
Hi guys, so I've posted a few build threads on PT before but usually post them after the project is complete. But for this build after I get you caught up, I'm going to post as I go, so my apologies if instant gratification isn't realized – lol

Couple of my other build threads if you haven't already seen them (still have both cars too :thumbup: )
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6597
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4040

So I bought this car in December 2014. It’s a JDM spec ’90 325i wagon, auto trans, sterling silver exterior, anthracite comfort interior, ~220 km. I bought it from a seller in Kelowna and had it shipped to Calgary sight unseen (pictures only). It was filthy when it arrived (open truck):

First wash

Once the pain-in-my-ass out of province inspection was done I replaced the comfort seats with sports, and loved driving it.

Couldn’t resist putting my BBS on too, it’s a blast to drive even with the auto trans, and I was all grins until several leaks caused a smoke show – not the fun good kind – lol. Had no choice but to park her in early summer 2015 until I could at least fix the leaks (oil pan gasket, auto trans pan gasket, vc gasket etc.)

You're probably thinking - Dude, that's over 18 months ago! :wtf: But time flies when you’re having fun, and I’ve had a few other Bimmers come through my garage between then and now (all sold):

’86 635csi euro

’82 633csi parts car (donated its G265 + 5spd parts to the 635csi)

‘89 325i MtechII

’88 325is

’90 325i Salvage parts car

Then in July 2016 I was lucky enough to buy one of my bucket list cars – Porsche 930

Just kidding – it’s a lowly 911sc not a 930. It had the widebody and 930 parts added in ’94, so has the 930 good looks for much less $$! :) Anyways the 911 also stole attention from the touring…

Back on topic!

2017 and finally the touring will get its chance to shine! What’s all this talk of AC Schnitzer? Well thought about doing an Alpina tribute, and maybe Hartge, but finally settled on ACS.

The plan is to build an AC Schnitzer S3 tribute, that when done it will look similar to these beauties I borrowed from google images:

And this one, picture borrowed from an r3v member, hope he doesn’t mind:

The good news is the car is rust free and generally in good condition other than blown gaskets, so will make an excellent base for this project.

The big plans are:
- 5 speed swap + LSD
- ACS S3 body kit
- ACS badging & stripes
- ACS 16x8 wheels
- Coilover suspension
- Design Edition sport interior
- Plus a bunch of other ACS goodies

Also along the way:
- Headliner re-do
- Engine tune up, reseal, maintenance
- Misc. fixes and upgrades

All parts will be authentic, period correct ACS parts – no fiberglass body kits here!

BMW made limited design edition touring models near the end of the E30 production run to boost sales, but only sold them in Europe :sad: . These were similar to the neon green and blue cabrio versions sold in North America, but wagons obviously. Touring design editions came in Silver, Red, Blue, Purple, Green exterior, with matching motorsport style design edition cloth interiors. The silver exterior you could get with any interior color, and you could get any engine you wanted as long as it was 4 cylinder - lol.

These are some random pics from google images of some design edition tourings:

I found a purple design edition interior from a seller on r3v, some pieces were worn out, and the sport seat bolsters had been redone in leather because the original bolster fabric had worn out. Another catch was the seller was going to remove all of the upholstery from the seats and foam frames to reduce shipping cost from Europe. Despite this, we struck a deal and he shipped the door cards and fabric covers to me. I sourced a few bits from german Ebay to replace a few worn ones, and now have a complete violett design edition interior!

Started over the xmas break on removing the rear seats so I could swap the upholstery.

Door cards:

Back seat is 6 separate pieces + headrests – did them one at a time:

4 Seat upper sections were fastened with hog rings. Lower 2 sections are zippered on, despite the zippered ones sounding easier in theory – in practice they were a nightmare. Fought me all the way.

But before you know it, I had the rear seats all done and installed!

The front seats I’m going to wait a bit and will revisit them. Once it’s all in I’ll give all seats a shampoo and vacuum.

One unsightly issue is the headliner. The PO noticed this as well and took it upon themselves to fire a bunch of staples through the sagging fabric into the headliner board as a half-ass fix :slap:

I pulled all the staples, oh shit handles, sun visors, interior lights, etc. in preparation to drop the headliner. BMW in their infinite wisdom made E30 headliners light colored fabric, except for motosport editions that are black. I’m thinking I’ll use a faux suede like alcantera but I haven’t sourced any fabric yet, anyone have suggestions/experience with this???

This is what the chaos of headliner removal looks like:

That basically brings y’all up to date on the project. I’ll post up when I make progress, thanks for looking! :clap:

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 pm

BMW: 2002 M3
Post Re: E30 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 Build
You certainly are Mr. E30
I bought headliner material from Pelican Parts. I eventually had the headliner glued on at deGreive Upholstery. I tried first and all I got was grief.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm

BMW: 2005 M3
Car looks great!

qualicas wrote:
I bought headliner material from Pelican Parts. I eventually had the headliner glued on at deGreive Upholstery. I tried first and all I got was grief.

Yeah, I sometimes get distraced by fumes too!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm

For glue I used Sta-Put. Spray contact cement. Very low odor. I have used 3M 777? or something like that. Might be just 77. anyway it gives me a super headache just from one whiff of the stuff. If anyone wants some I have a few cans I will NEVER use. PM me.
Back to headliner. I tried to do it myself and I got wrinkles and it was awful. Best $80.00 I spent to have them glue it on.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 pm

qualicas wrote:
I don't know about that, but I have owned quite a few :)

Do E36 have a a rigid hardboard headliner that fabric is glued to?

E30's are fabric and bows, EXCEPT tourings that have a hardboard headliner and fabric glued on. Tourings strangely are also missing the vinyl header panel that other E30's have at the front of the cockpit, and the sunvisors are light colored opposed all others that get black.

Not sure why BMW decided to make all those changes for tourings... :idunno:

I'm thinking I'll swap my sunvisors to black to match the darker headliner fabric I'm going with.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am

Yes, E36 and E46 have the hardboard headliner. I just figured that was the way they all were. I guess that was one of the advancements of the E36. Maybe the E30 touring had enough room to shove the headliner in from the rear while the "normal" cars didn't have the room. It is plenty tight to get the headliner out the back door of an E36 sedan.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Had some house things that needed doing but have that all sorted now, and spent some time in the garage yesterday.

The sunroof is operational (motor), and would tilt, but it didn’t want to slide back. No worries I have to take it apart to get the headliner out anyways! Never messed with E30 sunroof before, so bear with me! :ohnoes:

Pulled the front edge of the sunroof liner down to release clips, then it slides back into the roof. This exposes the 6 torx bolts to remove the sunroof panel

Sunroof panel removed

So once the sunroof panel was out I tested the the mechanism and it would slide back without issue. I did find a small piece of the track plastic that I suspect was jamming in the sliders, but the missing piece doesn't seem like it affects slider function. I can see no other obvious reason for the retract function to not work? :wtf:

Then sunroof liner needs to come out

I then was able to pull edges of the headliner fabric loose and remove 4 screws that hold the headliner around the sunroof

Then theres 4 clips at the back of the headliner that hold it up – carefully released those

Then pull back on the headliner and it drops! :thanks:

Time to take this and the sunroof headliner to an upholstery shop for a recover. :clap: Any suggestions for good upholstery places??

I had a set of Recaros recovered by Degreeve, they looked good, but for the price could have been better.

Fortunately my sunroof drains look good and are not rusty, also the sunroof panel is rust free on the inside, that’s a relief

After that I started rolling the fenders, just doing a light roll on the inner lips to keep them from catching on the sidewall if I dial down the coilovers.

Will post some pics of that – stay tuned!

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

The sunroof mechanism looks a lot like the E36 and E46 style. The little plastic bits are what is left of the feature that pulls the upholstered part back when sunroof is opened. Did I mention I hate sunroofs? On my GMW I fixed everything then put it all back and disconnected the switch to the motor. E46 I left out the upholstered panel. Most leave it open anyway since that one has a glass sunroof.
I used another guy to upholster the GMW, did a very good job but was costly and then took his time. PM me and I will get the details. I can't remember his name but I got him from a very respected local guy.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am

BMW: 2008 335xi
2003 M3
I have no idea about the E30, but on the E46 there is a reset procedure on the sunroof if there was a power interruption. It has to relearn the open/close limits.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 am

The shade on E30 is clipped to the tracks with 2 arms and gets dragged fore and aft. No intelligence in the E30 sunroof like E46, fine with me as it means less to go wrong!

So the fender rolling is done, nothing exciting about it but used a friends new roller which made it easier than using the beat up one I've used on other bimmers

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Progress!

I decided to push through the interior, even though not the most fun task, dash swap was next. I’ve done several so not a huge deal mostly just a finicky job requiring lots of patience so plastics aren’t broken.

I have a mint dash tucked away that will go in to replace the current dash which has three visible cracks

Started by pulling the center consoles

Removed the glove box, DME, HVAC panel, Steering wheel, cluster, etc.

The car came with a 6 button OBC, I opted to swap it for a euro analog clock I had in my hoard

The connector for the 6 button and euro clock are not the same, but I found what I’m fairly certain is the euro clock connector tucked up with the dash harness unused. Awesome I don’t have to splice the euro clock pigtail in! :thumbup:

These parts sadly won’t find their way back into the wagon

Parts pile

Ready for removal

Annnd its out! :thanks:

The HVAC gasket was deteriorated so removed it
That’s as far as I got today, new dash goes in next - stay tuned!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:00 pm

BMW: 2003 325xi
I checked out your other build threads, you've got some really nice cars. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.
Just curious, what is that knob on the centre console? I haven't seen that before.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks - love working on the Bimmers!

I think you mean the auto trans mode selector knob - it came with the sport auto option and allows greater driver control over the auto shift points. My cabrio E30 has it too.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 am

BMW: e46 325i Touring 5mt
I happen to have original ACS pinstripe decals from 1989 new in box, if you are interested in that kind of thing...

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

Dynamic Entry wrote:
I happen to have original ACS pinstripe decals from 1989 new in box, if you are interested in that kind of thing...

Definitely, sending pm!

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

BMW: e36
Dynamic Entry wrote:

$$$$$$

(OO==[][]==OO)

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Small update :clap:

New headliner is back from the upholsterer! I think it’s going to freshen the interior nicely.

Decided to remove the auto pedal cluster while the dash was out

Now you see it…

And out – won’t miss this piece

Had to have a taste of some ACS goodness!

Test fit one adapter

And tossed one of my newly refinished 16x8 ACS wheels on – looked delicious in person! :clap: I’m happy with the offset and flushness with the adapters, should look great on all 4.

New crack free dash cleaned up, conditioned, and ready for install

Annnnnd got the new dash in place last weekend which is the hardest bit, just preparing the manual pedal cluster to go in before I button up all the dash accessories.

Stay tuned for more updates! :ohnoes:

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 pm

BMW: 2003 325xi
Uuuuuuuupdaaaaates!? Please, I meant to say please.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Well good news is I got the dash and all accessories back in, and the manual pedals, clutch master cylinder and associated plumbing installed. :thumbup:

Bad news is the project stalled after that... :bawling:

Have been renovating / organizing my garage and the chaos that ensued halted progress on the wagon.

Oh, and also had a new son :clap: who's a bit young yet to be turning wrenches with dad - lol.

I'll finish it though, just need more time!

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 am

BMW: 2003 E46 M3
Fantastic work, ive had many E30's over the years, miss my old 300bhp M3 powered mtech II car,

I like the look of your Delphin car, whats done with that?
Brian

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I swapped an S52 into it along with some other goodies. Theres a link the build thread at the top of this thread.

More good news :) headliner is back in. Now to install the sunroof...

Pics to follow

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

BMW: Stage III Audi S4
I am very jealous of your hoard.

I believe I bought a Tech II front apron off of you back in the day.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 am

BMW: e46 325i Touring 5mt
rabbitgti wrote:
Well good news is I got the dash and all accessories back in, and the manual pedals, clutch master cylinder and associated plumbing installed. :thumbup:

Bad news is the project stalled after that... :bawling:

Have been renovating / organizing my garage and the chaos that ensued halted progress on the wagon.

Oh, and also had a new son :clap: who's a bit young yet to be turning wrenches with dad - lol.

I'll finish it though, just need more time!

Congrats!

I feel you since our son is coming up a year and a half and we moved last summer and are renovating a bit.

It has really affected how much time I can spend wrenching.....

Also this winter was long and dark, that didn't help.

This car will be fantastic when you get there, and you will get there.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]