It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
E46 330i Touring Sport Wagon 

BMW: e46 325i Touring 5mt
Post E46 330i Touring Sport Wagon
My 2005 325i Touring (EZ15752) was wonderful and almost perfectly equipped (from M steering-wheel to Sports suspension to Shadowline trim) but after I realized that BMW sold 330i wagons in Europe but not in North America I decided I needed to make my own.

It was just too nice to modify, particularly since it's M54b25 ran like a dream and deserved to live out it's life as is.

So I sold it, and I was on the hunt for worthy donors.

I picked up a 2003 330i manual Sedan (KM01933) that was well equipped (leather sports seats & wheel, aluminum trim) and well cared for but the owner walked away when it needed a new clutch.

And I found my Touring a few months later, a GreyGreen 325i auto (PC11796) with a solid body but neglected maintenance that made it a perfect fit for a complete swap.

Over the past year I have applied all my previous mechanical knowledge and ended up learning a LOT about the electronics and coding side.

I paid as much attention as I could to all the details, and I especially took into consideration what should be done "while you are in there"

I am excited about the result, and now that I am mostly finished I can finally turn my attention to documenting the process.

Happy Trails to the 2.5L

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Post Re: E46 330i Touring Sport Wagon
Hello, 330 Longroof

It's not done done yet - still need to install the 330 brakes and 17" Msport wheels. With another dump of snow in April, the Touring is hiding in the garage for now. But, the tunnel is showing the light now and I can summarize the result of this build.

*with few exceptions (Valeo single mass flywheel kit and eBay headers), all parts are either Genuine BMW or OEM*
Another 'modification' I made during this swap is deleting the plastic tube stock CCV system and replacing it with the M56 aluminum valve cover that has an integrated CCV system.

2003 BMW 325i GreyGreen Metallic - PC11796 - Active Status, Alberta registered from original purchase
- Complete m54b30 and 5 speed swap
- lots of maintenance and extras
- currently flashed/coded with EU2 DME software and deleted $205 from Vehicle Order so the car believes it is a manual transmission

From 2003 330i Sedan (KM01933)
- M54b30 engine incl airbox, MAF, DISA, etc
- ZF 5 speed manual transmission (replaced 5th and Reverse detent pins to fix common shifter issue)
- 330 propeller shaft and rear diff input shaft (retained 325iT 3.46 rear diff)
- clutch pedal, hydraulic lines, shifter assembly
- 330 calipers
- 'ZHP' Yellow tag steering rack & tie rods
- radiator & electric cooling fan
- Sports Seats, leather/electric/heated
- Sports Leather Steering Wheel
- Aluminum interior trim
- Leather door cards
- 17" M-sport Wheels
- StahlGrau Metallic Hood
- 330 exhaust (flap deleted)

Plus:
- Genuine BMW M-Tech 2 front bumper and replacement fenders, painted to match 442/6 GreyGrau Metallic
- Genuine BMW Coolant expansion tank
- Genuine BMW Short Shifter shift lever
- Alcantara Shift boot and 'ZHP' shift knob
- M56 aluminum valve cover, with new cap and membrane

NEW Parts:
- BMW viton valve cover gasket
- BMW engine oil pan gasket, crank seal, rear main seal, OFH gasket, Mann oil filter
- BMW transmission input shaft seal, pilot bearing, pivot pin, fork lever spring, detent pin busings, shifter bushings and guibo (FEBI)
- Valeo single mass flywheel and clutch kit
- Sachs clutch slave cylinder
- UUC SS brake lines and clutch line (Clutch Delay Valve deleted)
- Bosch Starter
- Brembo Rotors & Pads
- Contitech accessory belts
- NGK Ruthenium Spark Plugs
- BMW trans fluid ATF-2
- BMW Coolant
- eBay headers, ceramic coated

Pending:
- 330 Brakes and 17" Wheels
- Alignment
- Windshield
- A/C recharge

Last edited by Dynamic Entry on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 am

Post Re: E46 330i Touring Sport Wagon
The engine swap is basically plug and play, since both the 2.5L and 3.0L M54 are interchangeable as long as the 3.0L brings along all of it's intake hardware and gets the proper tune applied to the DME/ECU

The transmission swap was also very tidy, since you can swap over all the factory bits without modification. There is only wiring circuit that needs to be spliced - to add the Clutch Pedal Switch that allows the factory systems to be retained (Cruise, Clutch to Start, and EWS security module).

However, the transmission swap also afforded the most opportunities to get creative or at least make decisions about what you wanted to end up with.
Keep the 3.46 ratio rear end and prioritize pick-up over cruising comfort? Yes
Swap the rear diff flange so you can swap in the beefier 330 propeller shaft? Yes
Ditch the factory dual mass flywheel for a Valeo single mass kit? Yes
Add a factory short shifter while the gearbox is dropped? Yes
Buy specialized drifts so the detent pins can be serviced? Yes
Add a stainless steel clutch line and delete the delay valve? Yes

Everything will be shown when I get a chance, I took heaps of pictures along the way.

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]